Thursday, January 31, 2013

Taking Those Risks

    
By:  Alyssa Neal

     As you all know, each month the teacher or class selects one student as the student of the month who demonstrates an IB attribute. This month, January, was the IB attribute "Risk-taker". Congrats to every single student who was selected. I think it is a HUGE honor! Like um, who wouldn't want to be recognized as a risk-taker? Everybody should want to!

     A risk-taker is a person who is not fearful of getting something wrong, they would take a chance in hopes of winning, but won't get negative when wrong. A risk-taker enjoys to try new things with a positive mind and will consistently keep trying until they get it right. Risk takers don't back down from a positive challenge, they just go! Go! Go!

     I feel everyone should take risks in life, whether it be leaving family for a while to go to Iraq or another country that needs help, or simply trying a new food. If you don't take risks you can't get anywhere in life because I bet you any job or career you choose to do, you will need to take risks. If you don't take those risks, you're out. Not three strikes your out. If you decide you don't want to take those risks, on the first time (First strike) you're out!

     You can take positive risks easily! All you have to do is "The Staircase". The top stair is your strengths (things you know you can well) And just make your way down the staircase accomplishing each problem as you go. On the way down, all your challenges may get harder and harder and harder, but guess what? Your strengths help you along the way, and A CHALLENGE IS GOOD!  Maybe we should start viewing challenges as going down a staircase, instead of the difficult trek up the stairs.

     Well, while all this information is flowing in my head I interviewed Kylee Kamalii, 6th grade, F-205.

     "Hey Kylee, can I ask you two questions about your honor for representing F-205 for the IB attribute risk-taker?

     "Sure!" she replies.

     "How did you be a risk-taker?"

     She responds back, "Well, I ate some new foods. Made new friends very easily, because I wasn't shy to talk, and I made sure I volunteered more. (To share, participate, to help, etc.) This was pretty easy and fun too!"

     "Wow!" I reply. "Great job!"

     "Did you think you were going to get chosen for risk-taker?"

     She replies, "No. I really didn't because I thought there were a lot of great risk-takers from my class, so I didn't think I would have gotten chosen. And on the other hand, I didn't think people actually noticed me risk-taking."

     "Well, sounds like you certainly deserved it." I replied. "Thank you."

     Wow! Being a risk-taker sounds like fun, and sounds pretty easy too! So, I leave you with one final thought......


What risk will you take today?

No comments:

Post a Comment