Friday, August 24, 2012

K.I.C. Say's, "You'll Save, And We Receive!"


Written By Julaluk Multhrop And Alyssa Neal


What's that reaction you have, when you see your electricity bill? You're like, ,"Um, I'm not paying for this." Then, you think back to all those times you didn't turn off a faucet, light, or used the A.C on a breezy day? Okay well, K.I.C is trying to encourage you to sign up for the HECO Challenge.

This is how it works. You should/will receive a form, from your child that goes to Keone'ula Elementary School. Once you sign that form, its time to get your energy saving powers in action! Just watch out for things that could be upping your electricity bill, like a fully charged phone still in the charger, or you can even try manually washing the dishes, instead of using the dishwasher.

Last year, our school won 3,000 dollars. The money is being used for the aquaponics that is going to be built in the peace garden, behind E-Building. For first place, our school can win 10,000 dollars! That's a heck of a lot of money!

We can use that money to help out our school become a better learning environment. You are not just helping the school, you are helping yourself and your family save energy and money! So please, sign up for the HECO Energy Challenge, so you can help earn money for our school and help families save money.  Remember, once you enter, you are also eligible to win a Kumu Kit from HECO which includes a photovoltaic system, WOW!

    So start turning the lights off and close that wallet parents. You won't be paying much, anymore! So just remember, "You'll save, and we receive!"

For more information about the HECO Challenge, you can visit
www.HECO.com

4 comments:

  1. Thank you girls for sharing! It's good to send out reminders that the littlest things are adding up. Like leaving my phone charger in longer than necessary, or keeping my TV plugged in when it's not being used. I know it may seem like a hassle to unplug things all the time, but the savings really adds up. In our electric bills, and more importantly, for our environment! I hope we win the $10,000 this year because our Keoneula community is very energy savvy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog that you wrote Jula and Alyssa, it had a lot of information. I really liked it, it made me want to sign up for the HECO challenge. I will also use those tips like to unplug my phone charger when my battery is already full. I can't wait to read your next blog because this one was fantastic! But I know if all of our school did the HECO challenge we would win the 10,00 dollars but i'm not giving my hopes up for winning that money for our school. Overall, this was a very nice blog and I hope we win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have enjoyed reading the blog posts and look forward to reading the future posts! Good job F-205! Thank you to Julaluk and Alyssa for promoting the Hawaiian Electric Home Energy Challenge! I'm hoping that we can win more money for our Outdoor Learning Center but more importantly that KES families learn how to conserve energy and reduce their monthly electric bill! Keep on writing F-205! Ms. Obra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey guys it's Christine, but I'm pretty sure you knew that! Anyways I just wanted to say great blog Julia and Alyssa, and I loved how you guys decided to promote the HECO challenge for your first blog. As you know it was one of the first contests our school had signed up for. The only thing you guys could have added to make it better would be if you guys had added more information. I know that you guys added the HECO website, but if I were a parent reading this, I would have wanted to learn a little more about the connection between the school and the challenge. Otherwise, everything else was quite informational. Here's an idea for your next blog. Maybe you guys could introduce the new KIC and interview them on what they expect this year and what they've done already, even though you guys and I already know that we haven't done much, since we are both in KIC. Well, that's it for now, but once again you two did an amazing job on the blog.

    ReplyDelete