Monday, September 3, 2012

Vermiculture is Cool

By: Victoria Bermudez

At Keone'ula Elementary School, we have 4 worm bins for our vermiculture project.    Here are the steps to feed the worms: First you have to put in scraps of fruit and salad without the dressing on it , then you put one inch strips of newspaper (Hint : if the worms see sunlight then they might die because they will get over heated . It's a good idea to put the worm bin in the shade.). The 3rd step is to fill a bucket up with water half way and pour it in your bin evenly, then BOOM! It's finished!  What do the worms do to the food?  They eat the scraps of fruit, and when they are done with the scraps of fruit, the worm's castings make the fertilizer which we will use for the plants.

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this. I also liked how you told us how to feed the worms. Also i liked how you informed us there are only 4 worm bins. Do you know why we have the worm bins? Do you the purpose of the worm bins? I really enjoyed reading this.

    Ethan Gagnon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for looking at my blog. Yes I do know why we have the worm bins. So if we didn't have the fertilzer from the worm bins our school wouldn't be able to use the fertlizer on green grass,or the plants. So that's what I think why we have the worm bins.

      Tori Bermudez

      Delete
  2. I loved your blog! I liked all the facts and hints you told us. A question I had for you, is that do you reccomended people to have their own vermiculture in their own backyard? Anyway I really enjoyed reading your blog, now i know more about vermiculture. You did great on your blog.

    ReplyDelete